What is a good night’s sleep? Is 8 hours enough? Or is it too much? Do you wake up in the middle of the night? Do you feel sleepy all day? Are you keeping an eye out for the coffee IV system? If you have sleep issues read on……
There are sleep recommendations the CDC suggests adults should get about 8 hours, adolescents 9 hours, early adolescents 10 hours, and children is 11 hours.
Sleep is one of those things we all need, right along with food and water. In fact we need it to survive. Did you know that sleep deprivation is a technique used to get confessions and to torture prisoners?
Without sleep we begin to experience psychosis, paranoia, mood swings, and believe it or not financial issues.
Short term effects include:
- Decreased performance and Alertness
- Memory and cognitive impairment
- Stress relationships
- Poor quality of life
- Occupational injury
- Physical injury
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Attack
- Heart Failure
- Psychiatric problems
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Mental Impairment
- Fetal and Childhood growth retardation
- Physical injury
- Diabetes type 2
If it can be used as a torture devise why would you use it against yourself?
Here are some ways to get you to improve your sleep:
- Remember your bed is for sleep and sex only! Your bed is not your office, library, movie room, kitchen, video game room.
- Get some exercise! (I know you think that is always my answer, but it really does help) Fresh air and exercise is even better!
- If you can’t fall asleep get out of bed, read a book (somewhere besides bed), drink some water (alcohol does not help), Journal (yes again with the journaling), take a walk, meditate. The trick is to not just lay there staring at the ceiling.
- Eat Healthy! Caffeine can remain in your system for up to 36 hours. Sugar wakes you up at 0300 without fail. With that said, protein turns to sugar and so does gluten so everything in moderation.
- Sometimes life can affect your sleep. When this happens talk to someone (Click here to email me. Ask for help, especially helpful if you have a baby who won’t let you sleep. Favorite hobbies need some attention too, taking part in your favorite hobby gives you the feeling of joy.